For some of us gardening is therapeutic; our very own safe haven to relax and enjoy the summer sun whilst tending to this seasons planters. For the rest of us we’d rather spend a sunny afternoon chasing the kids round the garden or playing tug of war with the dog. Regardless of your preference, no one wants to look out the kitchen window to a neglected, rundown garden. These top maintenance tips will help keep your garden looking perfect with minimal effort!
Watering the Plants
- It doesn’t need to be a mammoth task! Flower beds need a top up 1-2 times a week maximum.
- Water in the morning when the soil is cool, this will stop the water from evaporating.
- Don’t drown your plants, an even covering of your flower beds is enough.
- Avoid plant heads to prevent bending or damage.
- Forgotten to water? Add plant food to your next batch – Baby Bio is great! This gives them a little spruce up for greener leaves and vibrant colours.
- Use a soft bristled brush to sweep up any dirt or debris.
- Hose down annually to keep it looking fresh.
- If you have pets hose down more often to avoid lingering odours. For regular use, it is advised to treat the grass with grass cleaner on a monthly basis.
- Don’t drown your artificial grass – a light covering is suffice.
- A lot of modern watering cans or hoses come with a flow control sprinkler attachments. These are great to avoid over doing it.
- Keep your plant beds fully stocked to minimise to room for weeds to develop.
- Bark is great for preventing weeds sprouting.
- Pull weeds from the root to prevent further growth or spreading.
- Jet washing your patio is known to reduce weed accumulation in between the paving.
- Weed killer is great as a permanent treatment.
- Sectioning off the garden with an area for decking reduces the amount of maintenance.
- A quick wash down using water and a stiff brush will remove any moss or dirt accumulated over time.
- Re-paining the decking? Use a sweeping brush instead of a paint brush and half the time.
Automate the Process
- Don’t have time to water the plants? Get some automatic sprinklers to do it for you.
- Not feeling gardening at all? Go artificial and eliminate the process all together by opting for fake grass and fake plants – Care free gardening at its finest!
Have you got some top tips for the non-gardener to add to our list? Let us know by leaving a reply in the box below.